Many of us are familiar by now (if you are reading my blogs) on the basics of SEO (content, link structure, etc) and the services that you can leverage to make your site more “search engine friendly”. But the question is, “What’s Next?” We have Google cracking down on black hat SEO, and Bing being accused with copying Google’s PageRank (interestingly enough, if you search Google for “Search” the first result is Bing!). So what could be next? Below you will find a 5 search engines that I feel deserve some street cred and love!
- Wolfram Alpha: This engine’s purpose is to provide “a fundamentally new way to get knowledge and answers—
not by searching the web, but by doing dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms, and methods.” Basically this works great for mathematical equations, searches on company names, and quite a few things. So will we do more computation with our search… maybe
- Dogpile: I think Dogpile does a good job of bringing multiple search engines together. Perhaps someone will come up with a new way to federate the results to make really relevant SERPs (search engine result pages). Maybe they really aggregate ” the most relevant searches from Google, Yahoo!, Bing, and Ask and delivers them to you in a convenient search package. With Dogpile, you get the best from the big dogs without all the mess.”
- Blekko: Blekko’s claim to fame is that they remove the “spam” sites by “using slashtags. Slashtags search only the sites you want and cut out the spam sites. Use friends, experts, community or your own Slashtags to slash in what you want and slash out what you don’t.”
- DarwinAlpha: Darwin Alpha leverages a concept of the “Chaos Theory” to present the results in “both a temporal perspective as well as in a manner revealing the correlation of those events with each other.”
- Greplin: This engine is really pushing the borders of the “personalization” options. Here you create a single login, map your other logins in as well, and it indexes just your content. Look out for this on in the future!